Aug 23, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny (26) looks on from the dugout during the first inning against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
There is no time for the Arizona Diamondbacks to rest on their laurels. After getting above .500 for the first time in four months, the team immediately hits Chase Field running with seven games this week. The D-backs sit only five games out of first place behind the Los Angeles Dodgers who have dropped five contests in a row. They trail the defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants by only 3 1/2 games in the division. Things are looking up for last year’s National League West cellar-dwllers.
More from Venom Strikes
- Happy Thanksgiving Diamondbacks Fans! We have lots to be thankful for!
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Arizona Diamondbacks fan
- Diamondbacks make some BIG 40-man roster Moves
- About time! Diamondbacks to now provide housing for Minor League players
- What is the Rule 5 Draft? How does it impact Diamondbacks?
The first four games won’t be easy. Into town come the St. Louis Cardinals, owners of the sport’s best record at 78-45 and who are in the middle of a three city Western swing. The Cards have a 3 1/2 game lead over the Pittsburgh Pirates after dropping two of three to the San Diego Padres. Arizona and St. Louis met at Busch Stadium for three games Memorial Day week with the home team taking all three contests. Here are the five players to watch over the next four days.
Next: Matt Carpenter