Arizona Diamondbacks Game Notes: This is Not The Reds
By Joseph Jacquez
The Tony La Russa homestand has begun with the best team in the N.L., the St. Louis Cardinals, in for the first of four with the D-backs who are just six back in the N.L. West.
What: Cardinals @ D-backs
When: 7:10 P.M. MST
Where: Chase Field (Roof Closed)
TV/Radio: FSAZ/ESPN2/MLB.TV/Arizona Sports (98.7 F.M.)
Pitching Matchup: RHP Lance Lynn (9-8 2.94 ERA) vs. RHP Jhoulys Chacin (0-0 0.00 ERA)
Lance Lynn is part of the Cardinals major league leading starting staff in ERA. All five of their starters have ERA’s under 3. Lynn allowed plenty of baserunners in his last outing, walking five, but he made pitches when he needed to and made it through 6 2/3 innings while allowing two runs. He received a no-decision the only other time he faced Arizona earlier this season.
Jhoulys Chacin was called up from Triple-A Reno today to make the start for the Diamondbacks. Chip Hale indicated that he would use a spot starter at some point, and it comes tonight with Chacin taking Robbie Ray‘s spot in the rotation. Ray will start tomorrow. Chacin spent six years with the Rockies. His career record is 38-48 with a 3.48 ERA in 109 career starts.
Something has to give in this series folks. The Cardinals have the best pitching staff and it only gets better when they have RISP with two outs. The D-backs have the best run scoring offense in the N.L. and they have the most RBI hits with two outs in the N.L.
News and Notes:
- The D-backs are 18-10 in their last 28 games, and their .643 winning percentage since July 23rd is the fourth best in the N.L.
- Brad Ziegler has converted 21 straight save opportunities.
- A.J. Pollock is hitting .449 in his last 16 games, and he was just named the N.L. Player of the Week today.
- Andrew Chafin‘s 20.1 straight scoreless innings is the longest in the majors right now, and his 19 straight scoreless outings is tied with Joe Patterson for the most by a D-backs rookie.
- Yasmany Tomas is hitting .429 with two doubles and three RBI’s against the Cardinals this season, and A.J. Pollock is hitting .444 against St. Louis.
- Pollock’s 14 straight stolen bases is tied for the fifth longest streak in D-backs history, and the Snakes have stolen a base in four straight games.