Amarillo Sod Poodles: Double-AA affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks
This is the Arizona Diamondbacks new Double-AA team. They replaced Jackson Generals after the 2019 season. They are located in Amarillo, Texas. They are currently last in their division, the Central-South division. They have a record 29-42.
The Sod Poodles are an exciting young team that has many of Arizona top prospects. Do not let their record fool you as this team has plenty of talent. The same could be said of the Arizona Diamondbacks too. Their manager is Shawn Roof. He is a young and talented manager after having won two Manager of the Year awards in the Minor Leagues by the age of 36. This is his fourth year in the Arizona system. This team is filled with prospects as mentioned above (prospect rankings are from here:
- Luis Frias: He is ranked as the #9 prospect for the D-backs organization. He has 85 K’s in 70.2 IP’s.
- Tommy Henry: Former Michigan Wolverine and CWS participant, Henry is ranked #12 in the D-backs prospect rankings. He is a solid left-hander who can be a workhorse and eat up innings. He has 79 K’s in 68.2 IP’s this season.
- Bryce Jarvis: The 1st round pick for the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2020 draft, he has risen to Double-AA in his first pro year. He is ranked #8 overall prospect in the organization. He has a sharp fastball and good command. In 60 innings so far, he has a 1.20 WHIP and 65 strikeouts.
- Levi Kelly: :Levi is a fast-rising prospect in the organization. He is now ranked #10. He is a hard-throwing reliever right now with not-so-great command. He has 24 K’s but also 25 walks in 21+ innings.
- Ryne Nelson: He is ranked #18 on the D-backs prospect list and has risen quite a bit this year. He was a 2nd round pick from 2019. He has shown great command of his pitches and durability. He has 96’s K’s and a 1.11 WHIP in only 64 innings.
- Matt Tabor: Tabor is the #21 ranked prospect for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He has shown a lot this year and risen up the ranks due to that. In 69 innings, he has a 3.24 ERA and 1.09 WHIP, both of which are great.
- Geraldo Perdomo: # 3 prospect for the D-backs and in the top 100 overall prospects for the MLB. He is considered their SS for the future. He made his MLB debut earlier this year but showed he wasn’t ready yet. He’s a tremendous fielder.
- Dominic Fletcher: #15 prospect for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He plays the OF and is the brother of Los Angeles star David Fletcher. Dominic has a lot of good attributes but has yet to put them together. He should be in Chase Field’s outfield sooner than later though. He has 8 HR’s on the year so far.
- Alek Thomas: The Arizona Diamondbacks Future’s Game representative for 2019 and 2021. He is the son of White Sox strength coach Allen Thomas. He is the #4 prospect for the organization and a top-100 prospect in the MLB. He makes a ton of contact, runs well, and plays great defense. He is considered our CF of the future. He has 6 HR’s and 7 SB’s this year so far.