Arizona Diamondbacks Game Notes: Give Us Length Robbie Ray!
By Joseph Jacquez
After a 15 inning marathon loss last night, the Arizona Diamondbacks desperately need Robbie Ray to solve his pitch count issues and go deep into today’s series finale as the D-backs go for a series win over the Pirates.
What: Diamondbacks @ Pirates
When: 4:05 P.M. MST
Where: PNC Park
TV/Radio: FSAZ/MLB.TV/ESPN Phoenix (620 AM)
Pitching Matchup: LHP Robbie Ray (3-8 3.29 ERA) vs. LHP J.A. Happ (4-7 4.66 ERA)
For a preview of today’s pitching matchup click here.
More from Venom Strikes
- Happy Thanksgiving Diamondbacks Fans! We have lots to be thankful for!
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Arizona Diamondbacks fan
- Diamondbacks make some BIG 40-man roster Moves
- About time! Diamondbacks to now provide housing for Minor League players
- What is the Rule 5 Draft? How does it impact Diamondbacks?
News and Notes:
- According to Steve Gilbert of Dbacks.com, RHP Yoan Lopez is experiencing tightness in his right elbow. The D-backs signed Lopez last January.
- Lopez is currently pitching for Double-A Mobile and has posted a 4.69 ERA in 48 innings.
- According to Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona, RHP Evan Marshall was released from Barrow Neurological Institute today. This is great news!
- D-backs pitchers are tied for third in the N.L. with 14 RBI’s just behind the Mets (20), and the Pirates (15).
- The Diamondbacks lead the majors with 36 triples this season. David Peralta leads the N.L. with 8 triples
- Robbie Ray is looking for his 1st win in 6 starts. His last came on July 7th at the Rangers.
- In his last 6 starts, Ray has only recorded an out after the 6th inning once. Ray is 0-3 with a 5.87 ERA in 15.1 innings. He has given up 3 HR’s this month and hitters are batting .295 against him.
- The Diamondbacks bullpen has been taxed recently. Last night they pitched 10 1/2 innings, so don’t expect many relievers to be available. That is the reason why Zach Godley was called up to provide innings out of the pen.
- Brad Ziegler and Daniel Hudson should be available tonight. The most ideal combination would be Ray, Godley, and Ziegler.
- Paul Goldschmidt leads the N.L. with a .382 average against left-handers this season.