September came and the Arizona Diamondbacks did recall a few names. It was most mostly some bullpen arms, with a promising infielder sprinkled in. With the Reno Aces season coming to an end on Monday, expect a giant haul of their players heading over to the Dbacks. Until then, we’ve only got news for the five players the Dbacks did call up in the beginning of September.
May 18, 2015; Miami, FL, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks relief pitcher Enrique Burgos (right) and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch (left) celebrate after defeating the Miami Marlins in thirteen innings at Marlins Park. The Diamondbacks won 3-2. Mandatory Credit: Robert Mayer-USA TODAY Sports
- Enrique Burgos
- The 24-year old Panamanian was called up on September 1st and resumed his role as prominent set up man. Burgos was credited with a hold in a victory over Colorado and was called upon to pitch in the blowout loss against Chicago. Burgos’ lowest point was a walk to Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant, which featured a couple of wild pitches. Burgos was not around for the Grand Slam that would score Bryant.
Sep 23, 2014; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks relief pitcher Matt Stites (37) pitches in the eighth inning against the Minnesota Twins at Target Field. The Minnesota Twins win 6-3. Mandatory Credit: Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports
- Matt Stites
- The 25-year old has pitched in two games since his September 1st call up. The performances have been on both sides of the spectrum. In an inning against the Rockies, Stites gave up four hits, two runs and a homer. However, in an inning against the Cubs, Stites was scoreless and struck out two hitters.
- Keith Hessler
- Hessler was the player everyone kind if hoped would get passed over. In his appearance since his call up, Hessler gave up a three run homer to the only batter he faced and was tagged with his second blown save of the season. Hessler (finally) had a scoreless outing against the Cubs in Chicago’s 14-5 drubbing of Arizona.
Aug 22, 2015; Cincinnati, OH, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks starting pitcher Zack Godley throws against the Cincinnati Reds in the fifth inning at Great American Ball Park. Mandatory Credit: David Kohl-USA TODAY Sports
- Zack Godley
- Godley, who’s been up and down from Arizona to the minors, was recalled on September 4th to make a start. At 4-0, Godley faced off against the Chicago Cubs. Godley didn’t last four innings, but did give up six runs and walked six hitters. It was Godley’s first loss at the MLB level. With the Dbacks wanting to control his innings, he might only be due for one more start this season.
Mar 1, 2015; Scottsdale, AZ, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks third baseman Brandon Drury (62) poses for a portrait during Photo Day at Salt River Fields. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
- Brandon Drury
- Drury was and is the only position player to be called up once rosters expanded. The 23-year old has received a few starts, including some time at second base. In his short time with the Dbacks, Drury is 2-for-11 with a walk and no strikeouts. The highly anticipated call up has shown great plate presence, not striking out yet in his MLB career.
More from Venom Strikes
- Happy Thanksgiving Diamondbacks Fans! We have lots to be thankful for!
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Arizona Diamondbacks fan
- Diamondbacks make some BIG 40-man roster Moves
- About time! Diamondbacks to now provide housing for Minor League players
- What is the Rule 5 Draft? How does it impact Diamondbacks?