The Opponents that the Diamondbacks can cause issues in the Playoff race for:
There’s four other teams that the Dbacks can still affect in the race for the playoffs. Only of the four have more than three games against the Dbacks. Despite that, every game from here on is crucial for a team trying to make a run. These are going to be fun games that will be made more exciting by how our team can really change October.
The four teams are:
- San Diego Padres: The team that the Dbacks just took 3/4 against only face the Snakes three more times this year. In fact, those are the only three games that the Padres have against the bottom 7 (& 1/2) teams in the MLB. As mentioned above, the Padres are only 1.5 games ahead of the Reds. The Dbacks two of three from the Padres at the end of August/early September and the Reds could be ahead of the Cali team.
- Houston Astros: The Dbacks head to Houston to see our favorite pitcher, Zack Greinke and the Astros. The Astros are in 1st place in the NL West. They have stiff competition nipping at their heels in the Oakland Athletics. The Athletics are only 2.5 games behind Houston. If, by some miracle, the Dbacks swept the Astros with only two weeks before playoffs, there’s a good likelihood that the Astros would find themselves the heel-nipper. Those will be intense games indeed. Additionally, they are the final games in 2021 with the Dbacks using a DH.
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves visit Chase Field for a four game series with the Diamondbacks. As I wrote above, the Braves are currently only 1.5 games ahead of the Phillies and 3.5 games ahead of the Mets. Every game is a must-win for tired Braves team that lost Ronald Acuna earlier this year. The series takes place only 1 1/2 weeks before the season ends too. If the Braves lost 3/4 to the Dbacks, then there’s a large possibility that the Braves will be watching the playoffs from their couch. The Diamondbacks could determine who wins the NL East from this series.
- San Francisco Giants: The final series of the year is against the 1st place Giants. It’s a three game series. It could also determine if the Giants or Dodgers win the division. That’s huge. The Giants are only 4 games ahead of LA. If that lead shrunk to around 2 games. That final series of the year will determine who wins the NL West. If the Dbacks won 2/3 or more in the series, the Giants could be forced to play a one-game playoff. It will be intense.
By the way, Mr. Manfred, can you please get rid of the one-game playoff and make it a three-game series. It’s way better, more exciting, and more intense as was shown last year. Thanks!
Anyways, the Dbacks will be in the thick of the playoff chase this year even if it isn’t for themselves. Don’t be surprised if the Diamondbacks knock a team or two out of the playoff chase this year.
More from Venom Strikes
- Happy Thanksgiving Diamondbacks Fans! We have lots to be thankful for!
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Arizona Diamondbacks fan
- Diamondbacks make some BIG 40-man roster Moves
- About time! Diamondbacks to now provide housing for Minor League players
- What is the Rule 5 Draft? How does it impact Diamondbacks?
May the Force be with You…